Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Twangin' Ezine: Hank McCoy Interviews Jimmie Dale Gilmore and More

As I have learned, not every band got a lot (or any) press during their time. Or if they did, it was via the print press that was never digitized. That may be the case with Hank McCoy & The Dead Ringers because the pickin's are slim. However, I did stumble upon a text file of the Twangin' E-Zine that was released in May 1994 that features an interview conducted by Hank McCoy with Jimmie Dale Gilmore, as well as a review of the Still Feeling Blue/Lately My Luck Has Been Changing album. Here is some of that review:
The problem with long CDs--and this one is 72 minutes long is that it's hard to listen to them all the way through.  Life intrudes.  The mail comes, your mother phones, dinner burns, your brothers come home from the war, the polar ice caps melt... The last couple of songs on this CD began to take on an air of mystery, like boxes pushed into the back of the closet. So finally I shoved the CD into the player and punched it to #24, "When I'm Gone." A jumpy, uptempo, nose-thumbing number, it turned out to be one of my favorites. But there are lots of other great songs here too:  "Long White Train," a funeral song in the tradition of "The Longest Train," is straight out of church; the covers of the Louvin Brothers' "I Wish You Knew" and Gram Parsons' "Still Feeling Blue" are gorgeous, and the Dead Ringers' version of "Vaya con Dios" is among the sappiest I've heard (and that's a compliment).

No comments:

Post a Comment