Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Cringe.com: Interview with Amy Alwood

Before the release of their debut album, Amy Alwood of The Velveteens chatted with Cringe.com in 1998 about the band, songwriting and much more. Here is some of that exchange:
Cringe: You play a variety of roles in the band. Which do you think is your strong point? 
Amy: I think that I can write songs, but I feel that my singing and guitar playing are mediocre at this point. 
Cringe: What are you basing that on? 
Amy: I don't have enough freedom to play the guitar. I can't just sit down and play the guitar for three hours like some people. 
Cringe: Why's that? 
Amy: I don't know. Every now and then I play the guitar for fun, but all of the other times, it's just like work. But I love it. I just don't have whatever it is that lets people sit down and play and have a good time- I just don't do that. And I don't try and force myself; I just have to wait until it comes out. 
Cringe: So what is it which allows you to feel comfortable in saying that you are a good songwriter? 
Amy: To me, the radio and MTV are pretty boring. [And by comparison,] I think that my music is original. I hope its original; [for] it 's definitely a goal of mine to make more original music without being full of self-pity and sensitive artist stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment