Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wilfully Obscure Blog: Gaunt but not forgotten

Back in 2011, the Wilfully Obscure blog (which has been going strong since 2007) reminisced about the passing of Jerry Wick around the ten year anniversary of his death in 2001. Here's a snippet:
I saw Gaunt twice, and though I had ample opportunity to introduce myself to the band, I passed.  Never had a conversation with Jerry, or so much as submitted a fan letter.  No drooling fanboy adoration here, just a sincere respect for the group's music and down to earth ethos.  Nevertheless, when I learned on January 11, 2001 that he was the victim of a hit and run accident while bicycling home in the small hours of the night before, I was instantly dumbstruck and gutted.  I was the one that broke the news to a number of my friends, mostly via email.  I recall getting home from work that night and scouring the web for any more info on the circumstances of his death, looking for a 'chatroom' or a 'thread' where I could share my thoughts.  I did find a site where I was able to leave condolences for his family, and I left it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment