Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Cringe.com: Talkin' Shit With The Jive Turkeys

Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, Cringe.com was a staple of daily and weekly Columbus music news and information. In addition to keeping a show calendar (which is still updated), release info, reviews and interviews were up on the site that produced a number of compilation albums, all under the watchful eye of Joel Treadway. In Winter 1999, he chatted with the guys from The Jive Turkeys, here is some of that interview:
Cringe: I think that your music has a remarkably mature and sophisticated sound and this would be true regardless of the age of the musicians involved. But this impression seems to be heightened by the fact that four of the five musicians in the band are in their early twenties. Is there anything in particular which any of you can point to that would account for this? 
Josh: We grew up playing together. We've played the same bars around this town for the last six years. I've known and played with most of these guys since I was sixteen. 
Justin: I've played with Matt since 11th grade. I really haven't worked with another bass player for any period of time. 
Brad: Plus, we all have good ears and like music a whole lot. 
Justin: I can't say this for everyone else in the band, but personally I'm really tired of what types of music are accessible to vast amounts of people now. So I have been going back to the music of [past generations to try and find inspiration]. 
Josh: I have very, very few current albums. 
Matt: I don't have any. 
Justin: Except for local stuff. Local music is the only stuff that is going anywhere for me. I don't know if it's how [most mainstream music] is presented or what, but it all seems so contrived. It all seems geared towards the industry's molds of what is going to make them money. [Bill Heingartner of Heifer fame chimes in at this point by screaming "Where are your hits?"] 
Matt: Yeah, we need a lot more hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment