Friday, December 28, 2018

My Husband's Stupid Record Collection checks out Blue Roots by Bassholes

For a couple of years, a woman kept a blog detailing the journey through her husband's record collection, which was called "My Husband's Stupid Record Collection." In 2014 she pulled out the debut album "Blue Roots" by the Bassholes and gave it a spin, here are some of her thoughts:
“I Can Tell By The Way You Smell,” immediately reminded me of “Fell in Love With A Girl,” (I linked to the video because I haven’t watched it in so long! And thought this was a good reason to.) and now this band sounds a lot like The White Stripes to me! Especially with just two people, it’s lost that 90s feeling for me and now I can really hear how The White Stripes must have been influenced by this band. I really liked this song and also appreciated how dirty it sounds compared to “Fell in Love With A Girl” which has a more produced sound. 
The next song goes back to a blues/slightly grunge feel, and I’m liking how this band seems to be taking many rock and roll influences and making their own music with just two people. I don’t know why I keep coming back to that, but I guess I’m just really impressed by the raw yet pleasing and dirty sound a two person rock band can create. And loud too! 
All of these songs are pretty short, most are under or just over three minutes on the first side and even shorter on side two. I think these work as short songs, but I’m not feeling that big of an emotional connection with this music. I do like it, and while I think it would be a good live show, I just can’t see myself getting completely lost in this music, although it does feel like the musicians are getting lost in it and having fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment