Friday, November 23, 2018

Columbus Monthly: Exile on High Street

In 2016 former Johnny Go's House of Music owner John Petric reflected on his history selling records on High Street, Campus Partners and more at Columbus Monthly. A snippet of that:
Campus was record-store nirvana back in those days. In addition to Mole’s, you had Singin’ Dog, Capitol City, Discount Records and Magnolia Thunderpussy, as well as Used Kids and its sister operation, School Kids, which focused on new product. The competition was fierce, and Mole’s, the first used-record store in Columbus, struggled to keep up. In 1988, I dug into my savings to buy what was left of Mole’s from the IRS for the ungodly sum of $2,500, as well as paying Ken Stone’s $3,600 in unpaid rent. I now had my own business right in the heart of campus, taking over the old Mole’s space on the second floor of the Wellington Building at 16th and High. I christened my store Johnny Go’s House O’ Music, naming it after my band, Johnny Go and the Awesome Dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment