Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Magnet: From The Desk Of Battleme's Matt Drenik - The Hairy Patt Band

Jason Drenik's brother Matt of Austin, TX stoner-rock band Lions and country/folk outfit Battleme guest edited at Magnet Magazine back in 2014 and talked about his brother Jason and The Hairy Patt Band:
“Oh, you know Matty, I just can’t handle the way he sings. He sounds like a hillbilly,” my mom said late one night. 
She was referring to my older brother and, more importantly, his seminal cow punk band, the Hairy Patt Band. Now he may be rolling his eyes when I say seminal, but to me his guttural howl was just as important as any of the shit that was crowding the FM radio at the time. And this was the early ’90s, back when you might actually turn on the radio and hear something you liked. There was something about my brother’s songs that was demonic and fearless. He didn’t just sing about Richard Ramirez; he channeled that psycho into the forefront of my teenage brain in crusty waves of garage rock, bullets and blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment