Tuesday, August 14, 2018

New Additions: Magic Flowers Droned by Psychedelic Horseshit

My ten-year run in bands ended in Columbus right around when the lo-fi "shitgaze" bands started popping circa 2007 and 2008. I'll admit that, first time around, I was completely oblivious to Times New Viking, Psychedelic Horseshit and others that were making waves in Columbus in the mid-2000s. Thankfully, due to his project I've been able to go back and start reassessing the whole scene, including the first album from Psychedelic Horseshit, 2007's Magic Flowers Droned on Siltbreeze, a long-running label out of Philadelphia that has been home to number of Columbus bands. The music is decidedly not for everyone, yet my I've found my musical tastes expanded rather than contracting as I get older, and even through dense patches of atonal noise, there is some really fascinating melody in the chaos. Again, not for your average listener, but if lo-fi is your thing, worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment