Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Lollipop Issue 15: Pigasus by Pet UFO Review

Back in 1994 Pet UFO put out their first of two full length albums, Pigasus on Burnt Sienna Records. Lollipop, which was a long running print zine before it went digital (and is now Lollipop Magazine), reviewed the album upon release in Issue 15. Here's a bit of that:
Singer Souci Broskowitz is so incredibly desirable as she kicks the male sub-species in the balls again and again. She gouges the eyes and spits in the scars of any and all who cause her pain. The songs read like diary entries and, for a change, I care. The songs go beyond personal; the lyrics and the vocal chords that spew them are covered in guts. One obvious exception is "Lecture 19" which is just plain fun. It's about plants. I quote: "Botany turns me on at night/when I think of what plants do with the light/I just wanna hug a tree/photosynthesis is so good to me!" Gosh, do you think it's one big metaphor for how beautiful the gift of giving is? Processing the waste of others and turning it into something beneficial at no expense to you or them? Why do you want to chop me down? Am I reading into this too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment